Nature: Full Time – 35 hrs per week
Reports to: Program Director, S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Employment Services
The Foreign Credential Recognition (FCR) Loan Project assists Internationally Trained Professionals (ITPs) to navigate through the FCR process and, ultimately, obtain employment commensurate to their professional field by providing flexible, easily accessible and low cost loan application. The use of loans covers short-term training, assessment and examination fees, travel expenses, training material and living allowances, as applicable. S.U.C.C.E.S.S. reviews the loan applications and, with the clients, assesses the proposed loan amount to ensure all training and other related needs are addressed.
The Loan Advisor/ Employment Counsellor is responsible for both assisting the clients with career planning and credentialing process, and working closely with clients to determine eligibility and need for financial assistance, process loan applications, monitor and follow-up with clients.
The Loan Advisor/Case Manager is also responsible for conducting individual career counseling services to ensure client employment readiness and providing job development services to ensure client work placements. He/she ensures FCR clients become more independent through achieving and maintaining sustainable labour market.
Also the Loan Advisor/ Employment Counsellor:
• Communicates with Program Director to update on project progress and evaluates results, records activities and submits reports to Program Director
• Provides case management support for current and prospective clients
• Meets with clients to obtain information and identify their financial goals in applying for FCR loans
• Conducts financial needs assessments with clients and other assessments as required
• Analyzes client’s financial status, character, credit, qualifications and labour market trends to determine eligibility and feasibility of granting loans
• Processes loan applications and makes recommendation to Project Manager and Loan Review Committee
• Develops, reviews, revises and updates actions plans according to client needs
• Keeps track of client’s repayment schedule
• Monitors client payments, performs regular follow-up with clients to monitor their progress and provide further assistance as required
• Follows up closely with clients who have difficulty with repayment and assists clients to develop a realistic repayment schedule if required
• Prepares reports and data collection
• Identifies and builds connections with employers and immigrant service providers to introduce FCR Loan Project
• Initiates and maintains ongoing contacts with businesses, industry representatives and immigrant service organizations
• Collects labour market information for clients regarding job openings, entry and skills requirements, and other occupational information
• Develops job leads and market clients to potential employers; creates connections and networking opportunities; locates work placement openings for clients based on their individual skills and abilities
• Works with clients to improve job performance and gain necessary job skills
• Ensures services are provided within the standards maintained by S.U.C.C.E.S.S. and consistent with the agency’s philosophical beliefs
Education, Training and Experience
• Bachelor Degree in a related discipline. Equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
• Minimum 1 year of experience in case management or equivalent
• Minimum 1 year of experience in employment services
• Experience working with internationally trained professionals
• Certified Career Development Practitioner (CCDP) designation a definite asset
Job Skills and Abilities
• Fluent in English; second language preferred
• Strong knowledge of local labour market information and methods to maintain current understanding of local influences and regional trends
• Strong ability to work with minimum supervision
• Strong analytical skills coupled with high degree of accuracy
• Possesses established connections within the community and with employers
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Strong ability to work with minimum supervision
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with clients and the public including potential employers and other service providers
• Proficient in the use of MS Office and Internet for research and communication
• Competent to accomplish tasks with deadlines & handle stress and pressure
• Willing to take initiative, action & results-oriented, flexible and dedicated to quality work
• May be required to travel
• May be required to work weekends, evenings
• Criminal record check required
Duration: ASAP to March 31, 2017; renewal subject to funding availability
Salary: $23.58 – $25.08 per hour (subject to budget confirmation)
• Interested persons please apply online and attach your resume & cover letter on or before December 18, 2016. Late applications will not be accepted.
• Please use “FCR Loan Project –Loan Advisor/Employment Counsellor” as the email subject.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
* Resume including the cover letter should not be more than 3 pages.Follow us here: