Vox Media builds smart media brands people love, empowering trusted digital voices with proprietary technology to create and distribute stories to an audience of hundreds of millions. Vox Media is eight distinct brands: The Verge, Vox, SB Nation, Eater, Polygon, Racked, Curbed, and Recode.
Vox Creative, Vox Media’s award winning branded content studio, is looking for a Junior Designer to join the team. This position will support our Creative Development team’s efforts to pitch high-quality, beautifully expressed content ideas and proposals. The Junior Designer will be responsible for bringing ideas to life in the form of simple but compelling pitch decks, storyboards, mock-ups, wireframes and other presentation materials. You will work side-by-side with our Strategists, Designers and Video creators, shaping ideas visually and helping to scale our design processes for greater output and efficiency.
The ideal candidate must be a strong visual storyteller and have extensive experience creating presentation narratives in visual form. The ideal candidate will be proficient in the Adobe Creative Suite of applications and/or Sketch, be a fan of our editorial brands and be intimately familiar with the design standards of our platforms and others such as Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat and YouTube.
The role is based in the New York office and reports to the Design Director, with a dotted line report to the Creative Director.
- Produce mocks and client presentations
- Execute design work as required in both pre- and post-sale stages, which may include co-branded ad units, video storyboards, pitch decks, mood boards, style guides, etc.
- Be an advocate for quality design execution
- Push yourself to create outstanding Design in a wide range of formats for a variety of brands
- Participate in brainstorming with Designers and the Creative Development team
- Take feedback from Creative Development team and Design Director on the fly
- Collaborate with teams and individuals across all of Vox Creative and Vox Media Design to learn, tackle new initiatives, and meet unexpected challenges.
- Push yourself to create outstanding design in a wide range of formats for a variety of brands
- Advocate for exceptional design internally and outside the company
- Participate in brainstorming with strategists on the Creative Development team
- Incorporate feedback from project leads and clients gracefully, sometimes on the fly
- 1-2 years experience in graphic design, preferably in a digital environment and/or at an agency
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite of applications
- Strong experience building presentation materials in Google Slides, PPT and Keynote
- Strong visual design skills and an understanding of designing for video/motion
- Willingness to learn new storytelling methods quickly
- Participation in regular meetings to review work
- A familiarity with the digital media industry
- Ability to maintain a sense of humor when faced with volume and time constraints
- A diverse portfolio
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS animations, and front-end best practices a plus
- Illustration experience a plus
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.